The global esports market generated over $1 billion in annual revenues in 2021; that’s a 50% increase from last year, driven primarily from sponsorships and advertising to an estimated global audience of 600 million fans. Breaking records is part of the game, and we’re just getting started! Who’s we? Team Liquid (TL) is a world-renowned professional esports organization with offices in Santa Monica, CA, and the Netherlands; also ranked as one of the top three most valuable esports organizations by Forbes. We’re currently competing in over 15 different esports titles. We’re well on our way to helping shape the world of esports, all thanks to our incredible fans, athletes, influencers, content creators, Liquid+, and Liquipedia (the world’s most extensive esports wiki).
Do you have a background in technology and design? Would you love to conceptualize and develop new website features? Are you able to work independently as well as with a team? You’re the type of candidate that would be perfect for the remote Back End Developer role at Team Liquid.
In the Back End Developer role, you will be responsible for maintaining back end usability and functionality while also contributing to the development of our Liquid+ website initiatives.
What is Liquid+? Liquid+ rewards fans for supporting Team Liquid and our over two hundred+ pro players, streamers, and staff. But it’s not only about points (there are definitely still points). On Liquid+, fans find the latest Schedule of live streams and Liquid games, the baddest content drops on athletes through Quests and Experiences, and prizes that offer a meaningful takeaway (like an AMA with ScreaM or signed Jensen jerseys).
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Develop and maintain features for a forthcoming Team Liquid website/application
- Support the back end development of our website initiatives
- Suggest improvements to the website’s user experience by implementing user interface changes and collaborating with all Technology teams to conceptualize and develop new features
- Participate in code review, regular planning meetings, and retrospectives
- Coordinate with front end developers to ensure compatibility and usability
- Compile and analyze data, processes, and codes to troubleshoot problems and identify areas for improvement
What You’ll Need:
- 1+ year of MongoDB / MySQL experience
- Excellent understanding of best practices (maintainability, performance, security) for each coding language
- Git experience
- 1-2+ developing RESTful API experience and microservices
- Behavior-driven development (BDD) experience
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of secure coding practices and web security, including SQL, Code Injection, XSS, CSRF, serialization attacks, and others
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of web performance and the use of correct database indices, caching layers, and other efficient methods
- Fluent in English
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
You Earn Bonus Points If:
- Excellent understanding of best practices (maintainability, performance, security) for each coding language.
- Knowledge of website accessibility standards (WCAG).
- Experience with interaction design principles, user-centered concepts, UX research and design, human-computer interaction, or interface design.
- Familiarity with at least one CSS preprocessor and git version control
- 1-2 years of React Native experience