The Legal Counsel, Game Publishers will provide general legal advice to the internal game publishing team, including review, draft, negotiation and amendment of game publisher contracts but will also provide legal advice to other internal departments from daily legal tasks, e.g. for general terms and conditions, NDAs and other contracts, especially from an U.S. law perspective. This position will administer legal processes and procedures to protect ESL’s legal and business interests in line with business needs, established legal framework, standards, applicable laws and regulations. The Legal Counsel, Game Publishers will be the central point of contact for ESL and DreamHack game publisher colleagues and for the opposing counsel of our game publisher partners.
The Legal Counsel, Game Publishers reports to our General Counsel of ESL and is a part of our Global Legal team. The ideal candidate for this position will reside on the east coast of the US, preferably in the New York City area.
What you’ll do:
- Draft, review, negotiate and amend Global Game Publishers agreements for the ESL Group
- Research, analyze and interpret case law, court reports and proposed / existing laws and regulations to assess and mitigate risks for the ESL Group from a legal perspective with a focus on business needs
- Liaise with opposing counsel of our game publisher partners to align on contract details
- Ensure the granting of the necessary rights for the broadcasting of the tournaments and for the sale of the Media Rights to Media Rights Partners
- Represent the interests of the ESL Group while negotiating and apply company policies from a legal perspective
- General administrative work, e.g. filing contracts to the contracts database of the ESL Group (Google Drive/DocuSign), uploading contracts to HelloSign/DocuSign for eSignature
What you need:
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school
- A member in good standing of any state bar (US or international)
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience, either at a law firm or in-house legal department
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with US law
- Experience with Intellectual Property and license agreements strongly desired
- Affinity for esports and gaming a plus
ESL Gaming is the world’s largest esports and gaming lifestyle company. Since 1994, the company has been shaping the industry and leading esports and gaming innovation on a global scale across the most popular video games with numerous online and offline esports competitions, and through premier gaming lifestyle festivals. The company operates high-profile, branded international leagues and tournaments under the ESL Pro Tour, including ESL One, Intel® Extreme Masters, DreamHack Masters, ESL Pro League, and other preeminent, stadium-size tournaments. ESL Gaming also produces and hosts DreamHack Open tournaments, ESL National Championships, grassroots amateur cups, matchmaking systems, and DreamHack’s gaming lifestyle festivals — which feature everything gaming under one roof. ESL Gaming is part of MTG, the leading international digital entertainment group. More information is available at about.eslgaming.com.
ESL Gaming is an equal opportunity employer. We are creating a world where everybody can be somebody. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.