Who We Are
Cloud9 Esports is the premier esports organization in the world. Fielding twelve professional teams in eleven different games, Cloud9’s reach is unparalleled – generating more viewer hours than cable networks like CNN or ESPN. In 2017, Nielsen declared Cloud9 as the most recognized esports brand in the US and UK. Cloud9 is one of two organizations globally to own franchises in both the League of Legends LCS and the Overwatch League.
About Training Grounds (TG)
Built on four core pillars of learning, passion, excellence, and trust, Training Grounds is Cloud9’s youth initiative that brings together youth and adults of all experience levels for a unique online sports experience. Training Grounds participants hone their skills as players while they grow as individuals through real-life skills applications. TG’s teaching philosophy is built off of the industry-leading techniques and tools utilized in Cloud9’s current professional esports team environment. Campers participate in competitive play experience and receive state-of-the-art coaching within a safely-moderated, fun, and educational community.
What We’re Looking For
Cloud9 is looking for talented coaches of various levels for our 2021-2022 Smash Ultimate Training Grounds programs. There are two types of TG programs that we’ll be running throughout the year.
- Working with High School Clubs – These TG programs span 6 weeks and require you to work part-time (approximately 10-25 hours/week) for the entirety of the program. This would be your primary program.
- Camps – These TG programs can run for 5-days or 6-weeks and would require you to work part-time (approximately 6-10 hours a week). Camps can be assigned on a rolling basis.
Please note this is a contract position.
About The Role
The ideal coach candidate is a compassionate, motivational, and professional leader who is passionate about fostering positive gaming spaces and thrives in social situations. Coaches are expected to uphold the values of Training Grounds (Learning, Passion, Excellence, and Trust) and serve as a role model at all times when interacting with campers. They should have an in-depth and well-rounded understanding of Smash Ultimate through either personal gaming or coaching experience. Coaches should also have experience as a tutor, camp counselor, or a similar youth development role. Pursuing a degree in Education or Early Childhood Development is a plus. Additionally, candidates should have multiple years experience of playing and/or coaching Smash Ultimate at a competitive level.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Present pre-made lessons to your assigned student group
- Supervise teams and act as referee for students in scrims and educational game mode play during lessons for the duration of program
- Conduct pre-made skills tests for player improvement tracking
- Moderate master classes with pro players
- Review game videos-on-demand (VODs) with your team and give constructive feedback for player improvement
- Conduct ongoing player evaluation to inform Parent Reports and ensure students are working towards their goals
- Moderate the Training Grounds Discord community by monitoring discussion and interacting with students
- Encourage healthy gaming habits, both mental and physical, for students
- Organize and host pre- and post-camp pick-up game lobbies for students
- High school graduate currently pursuing further education or recently completed their higher education degree.
- Experienced in working with youth (esports, traditional sports, camps, tutoring, etc.).
- History of playing Smash Ultimate competitively
- Ability to pass criminality and social media background checks
Perks of Being Part of the Team
- Industry-leading esports coach training designed by Cloud9 and accredited professional coach organizations
- State-of-the-art resources used by the Cloud9 professional esports teams
- Ability to shape gaming and life skills for young players
- Access to the exclusive Cloud9 Training Grounds community, that you’ll share with hundreds of C9TG players and esports coaches
- Competitive hourly wage rate
Equal Employment Opportunity
Cloud9 Esports is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunity to individuals who are qualified to perform job requirements regardless of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, age, religious creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital or domestic partnership status, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic or status protected by federal, state or local laws. Cloud9 is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cloud9 will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the law.